Rich Freeman posted on Tue, 22 Jan 2013 06:56:08 -0500 as excerpted:

> I just got an elog out of udisks complaining about
> USB_SUSPEND not being set, and I have no idea why I'd need that on a
> system that is powered 24x7.  Even the kernel docs suggest that it
> should be disabled if users aren't sure if they need it.

FWIW, that's for runtime power management.  Even a wall-powered system
that's always running can shutdown unused USB devices when they're not
needed, saving power at the incremental level, anyway.

However, that is a rather newer feature, and may cause issues with USB
wakeup on obscure or older (say USB-1.x generation) hardware, thus the
kernel help recommendation for that option.

That said, presumably udisks would choose not to make its check fatal,
altho changing the default to fatal could complicate things for existing
ebuilds until they're fixed.