On 1/24/2013 12:18, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
On 24/01/13 01:09 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
On Thu, Jan 24, 2013 at 12:49 PM, Duncan <1i5t5.dun...@cox.net>
wrote:
That said, presumably udisks would choose not to make its check
fatal, altho changing the default to fatal could complicate
things for existing ebuilds until they're fixed.

That was basically my whole point - it can't be one-size-fits-all.
Honestly, based on some of the other feedback I'm not convinced it
should ever be fatal.  Perhaps it should be more or less noisy.

Keep in mind that a typical user may be running parallel builds
and such - so a delay doesn't really make much sense there either.
There should also be some way to kill any interactivity in advance
- if I'm running a bootstrap script of some kind and I'm
installing/updating udev before I even compile a kernel that
shouldn't cause the whole process to die.

a fatal die in pkg_pretend could be circumvented by an environment
variable such as ${PN}_I_KNOW_WHAT_IM_DOING being set.  Just a thought.

People keep quoting, on this list and on gentoo-user, that Gentoo is not a "hand holding" distribution. Having to set I_KNOW_WHAT_IM_DOING=1 sure seems to me like I'm telling my dad I don't need him to hold my hand to cross the street anymore, I'm a big boy. It seems like an added step that isn't necessary. If users are not reading the messages they're receiving and it breaks their systems, why should that make extra work for those of us who do pay attention?

--
♫Dustin