On Sun, 10 Feb 2013 20:43:02 +0100
Dirkjan Ochtman <d...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Feb 10, 2013 at 5:54 PM, Fabio Erculiani <lx...@gentoo.org>
> wrote:
> >> +1 from me; I've had a few machines break on kernel upgrades
> >> because I didn't have the proper firmware installed (I guess older
> >> kernel sources came with the firmware?).
> >
> > This is another problem, namely dependency level problem.
> > I don't see how having kernel sources ebuilds
> > providing /lib/firmware would fix any of the listed issues without
> > causing other "side effects".
> > For starters, if kernel sources provide /lib/firmware, how do you
> > deal with file collisions?

Sorry this is not threaded properly; I accidentally deleted the e-mail
I intended to reply to.

Please don't make kernel sources RDEPEND on firmware. The kernel DOES
NOT depend on firmware to work properly. Well over half my machines
prove that: they work perfectly fine (read: 100% of their hardware
works) with no firmware at all installed. Don't force me to install a
package that provides me with a grand total of zero benefit, just so
you can hand-hold people.

It's unfortunate that people were caught by the firmware being removed
from the kernel and breaking their hardware. This sounds like an
application for a news message telling people to install firmware if
needed, but IMO it doesn't call for a dependency.

Chris