On 02/24/2013 10:40 PM, Duncan wrote:
> Michael Mol posted on Sun, 24 Feb 2013 22:17:56 -0500 as excerpted:
>
>>> I'm not following you here. 'slot' means a very specific thing. You are
>>> not actually suggesting we use SLOT, you simply want both versions of
>>> the library to be installed in one ROOT?
>>>
>>> I would not advocate this approach. You should strive to have only one
>>> kerberos implementation on a given machine.
>>
>> I'm really not certain, to be honest. It was my impression that slots
>> allow for two different versions of a thing to be present on the same
>> system, and that their different sonames on the system would lead to
>> correct symbol resolution. (Although it would require that the soname
>> being sought be adjusted in a dependent program to target the version
>> required.)
>
> The issue is in one's definition of "two different versions of a thing".
>
> "Slot", in the gentoo sense, has the meaning of two different versions of
> the same package, say qt-3 (tho that's long out-of-tree, but alive in kde-
> sunset) and qt-4 and qt-5 (tho that's very new, but is or will soon be a
> problem as more packages dep on it), where there'd ordinarily be file and/
> or functionality collisions, NOT two different packages containing the
> same functionality, which is the extended meaning it appears you're
> applying here, but which only confuses people when used within the gentoo
> context.

My presumption was that both app-crypt/heimdal and app-crypt/mit-krb5
used the same binary names.

$ equery f app-crypt/mit-krb5|grep -e '\.so'|sed -e 's/\.so.*//'|sed -e
's/.*\///'|sort -u|grep -v debug
db2
encrypted_challenge
libgssapi_krb5
libgssrpc
libk5crypto
libkadm5clnt
libkadm5clnt_mit
libkadm5srv
libkadm5srv_mit
libkdb5
libkrb5
libkrb5support
pkinit

(on a different machine)

$ equery f app-crypt/heimdal|grep -e '\.so'|sed -e 's/\.so.*//'|sed -e
's/.*\///'|sort -u|grep -v debug
libasn1
libgssapi
libhcrypto
libhdb
libheimbase
libheimntlm
libhx509
libkadm5clnt
libkadm5srv
libkafs
libkdc
libkrb5
libroken
libsl
libwind
windc

The overlap between the two includes libkrb5, libkadm5clnt and
libkadm5srv. When I was thinking "why not slots?", that was explicitly
the part I was thinking of.

The distinction between two versions of a thing, and two implementations
of a thing, is a thorny epistemological issue; "extended meaning" is
good way to put it. I've acknowledge that abusing slots in this way is
pretty vile. I don't really care to advocate it; I merely brought it up
as an alternative. (But it seems it's a difficult question to bridge.)