On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 7:49 AM, Carlos Silva <r3...@r3pek.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 3, 2013 at 1:42 PM, hasufell <hasuf...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>
>> What do we have useflags for in gentoo?
>>
>> add a "unsupported-kernels" useflag, mask it, add a clear statement in
>> the masking reason and be done
>

> Not a bad solution, still, I, as a user, don't think making the compilation
> work with a specific kernel should be considered "unsupported". How many
> times modules stop working because the kernel changed something that breakes
> compilation? And I'm not only talking  about closed source drivers, even
> open source ones have this "problem", but in fact, they are fixed faster.
>
> Does the gentoo community really need this kind of strictness? Don't think
> so.

So I'm going to get a bit meta here, forgive me ;)

Currently the project more or less functions on herd and maintainer
'ownership.' Ownership of problems tends to be good in many cases. It
is clear who is responsible, we know who to contact to fix bugs and
ask questions of. This does lead to disagreements (such as this
thread.) Some developers want these patches and the package
maintainers disagree. In the current scheme, the package maintainer
always wins. This is the downside to ownership, ownership implies
control and responsibility. The package maintainers are against these
patches, they do not want to own them, and they do not want the
associated responsibility of users using them.

I don't even necessarily mind Samuli's commit (ask for forgiveness,
not permission), but I would mind if he put the patches back. The
package maintainer has spoken out about why they dislike the patches
and you should respect their opinion. The maintainers in this case
suggested an overlay, and they even offered point users to it.

This is the system we have; if you think it sucks (and it does,
sometimes) please propose something better.

-A