On Fri, 08 Mar 2013 15:44:16 +0100
Thomas Sachau <to...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> Alexis Ballier schrieb:
> > On Thu, 07 Mar 2013 19:59:35 +0100
> > Thomas Sachau <to...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> I dont have a list of binaries, i either noticed myself some
> >> abi-specific behaviour or got user reports for abi-specific
> >> behaviour. As an example i remember, dev-libs/libIDL has a config
> >> binary not matching the usual *-config scheme (libIDL-config-2),
> >> so instead of adding a random list of patterns, i simply added
> >> that package to the list of packages with wrapped binaries. The
> >> same applies to mysql, which has a mysql_config binary.
> >
> > Ok, so those make perfect sense for being wrapped and should be done
> > per-binary not per-package: We do not really want to wrap all mysql
> > binaries just for mysql_config.
> > Ebuilds should declare the binaries they want to be wrapped, so we
> > can grep the tree for getting a list of what to fight against if we
> > want a cleaner multilib system :)
>
> This is possible, but will make the solution more complex or limited
> (either the solution does not allow users to opt-in for wrapping all
> binaries of a package or you need an additional option for users to
> opt-in beside the variable, which includes the needed binaries).

Why do you want _users_ to do that? Ebuilds should do it. We are
talking about multi_lib_ not multi_arch_ after all :)
If you want to wrap all binaries, it may be allowable to have a regexp
there so that '*/bin/*' would wrap them all, but I don't think it is a
good idea to do that.

> >> I am not sure about the target of your qmake question, so as a
> >> general answer:
> >>
> >> qmake is something like configure for qmake based build systems. If
> >> you want to see the difference between qmake (32bit) and qmake
> >> (64bit), run a 64bit qmake on a qmake based package and do the same
> >> with a 32bit qmake and check the difference between the 2 runs.
> >
> > Well, I'm asking this because I don't have access to a 32bit qmake
> > here so a diff of the files generated by the two will be useful :P
> > And I believe it makes sense to study in details this case to
> > understand whether we want to wrap it or not. As Davide said, it is
> > likely that overriding the correct variable may make qmake output
> > not abi-specific. The difference between g++-64 and g++-32 qmake
> > mkspec is only a -m32 vs -m64 cflag which I think is overridden
> > elsewhere in our ebuilds so this should not matter much.
>
> If you want an example diff, can you point me to a small qmake based
> package?

media-video/smplayer or media-sound/qjackctl but this one also uses
autoconf before

Alexis.