On Fri, 15 Mar 2013 11:32:31 +0100
Alexis Ballier <aball...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Mar 2013 14:42:43 +0100
> Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > > Let alone qmake, how do you suggest dealing with *-config scripts?
> > > Some packages are just not written with multilib in mind, or have
> > > to maintain historical compatibility which was not, wrapping the
> > > problematic binaries is one solution to this. I've not seen any
> > > other solution.
> >
> > Choose optimal solution per-package. In case of freetype, the solution
> > is simple enough: make multilib-aware packages use pkg-config.
> > fontconfig does exactly that, and in the earlier version it was enough
> > to export something like FREETYPE_CONFIG='pkg-config freetype2'
> > (or ac_cv...).
>
> In this case there's also cmake, and all the other build system types,
> maybe even custom ones. pkg-config should be prefered over *-config
> scripts in 99% of the cases I'd say; however, setting FREETYPE_CONFIG
> isn't less of a hack than the bin wrapper if patches for using
> pkg-config to detect freetype are not merged upstream.

Yes, the freetype case has already been solved through removing
the trouble-making part of header (it wasn't actually ever used) which
made the headers compatible.

In the longer run, we need more tools for that. During the weekend I'll
attempt to write an acceptably good header wrapping function.

We may also want a simpler ignore/exclude option but not sure how to do
it properly. Certainly I wouldn't want the function to dumbly ignore
the whole file, esp. considering that its contents (and thus
ABI-specific data) can change over time (versions).

--
Best regards,
Michał Górny