On 29/03/2013 11:50, Samuli Suominen wrote:
> Not false, but configurable, and linked from the news item -- nobody
> stopping you from eg. using MAC addresses instead of PCI slots for
> defining the names, just like one would have renamed them using MAC with
> 70-persistent-net.rules

Which I usually do. But

"With the new predictable ... scheme ... the names will be static and
not randomly rename ..."

is false.

The name will be predictable before rebooting (maybe?) but it could very
easily change randomly on udev update.
> Not FUD, but a fact, depends on the driver code (in kernel) if it'll
> change or not
> That's random enough as we can't force people to track kernel source
> tree and drivers code

Hm hm. It's still FUD.

If my desktop only has one Ethernet interface, no matter how many kernel
changes happen, it'll always be eth0.

Whereas, with the new predictable scheme, if I move that card around, it
will change name.

Tell me which one is random, again?

---
I'm not saying you shouldn't enable it (feel free to screw up user as
much as you want, just don't complain if they don't like you), but since
both kernel naming and predictable naming have their chance to change,
don't spread FUD.

--
Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes
flamee...@flameeyes.eu — http://blog.flameeyes.eu/