On Sat, 6 Apr 2013 16:27:33 +0100
Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccre...@googlemail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 6 Apr 2013 11:13:36 -0400
> Mike Gilbert <flop...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> > I'm just not sure how the package managers like an in-place EAPI
> > change. If it works, great.
>
> If you don't revbump when going from an EAPI that doesn't have
> subslots to one that does, and then people start using subslot deps
> upon that package, it gets pretty icky. So I would highly encourage
> always revbumping at least when going to EAPI 5.

we are talking about the other way around I think: package with the
subslot is already eapi 5, package wanting the := dep is converted in
place

in that case, installed package will not have the := dep in vdb, thus
will not be rebuilt; when updating libpng, old school methods will still
work, and once that is done the := dep will do its job in the future.

I agree it'd be nice to have everything rebuilt automatically when
going from libpng 1.5 to 1.6 but I'm seeing it the other way: I don't
understand why I need to rebuild half of my system just to be able to
automatically rebuild it again later.

Alexis.