On 05/08/2013 11:39 AM, Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn wrote:
> Ben de Groot schrieb:
>> On 1 May 2013 18:04, Fabio Erculiani <lx...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>>> It looks like there is some consensus on the effort of making systemd
>>> more accessible, while there are problems with submitting bugs about
>>> new systemd units of the sort that maintainers just_dont_answer(tm).
>>> In this case, I am just giving 3 weeks grace period for maintainers to
>>> answer and then I usually go ahead adding units (I'm in systemd@ after
>>> all).
>> In my opinion you should not be asking maintainers to add systemd
>> units to their packages. They most likely do not have systems on which
>> they can test these, and very few users would need them anyway. I
>> would think it is better to add them to a separate systemd-units
>> package.
>
> Note that a similar thing is already done with the selinux policy packages.
>
> Mostly the complaints against adding systemd units are that it would
> unnecessarily clutter non-systemd installs. Users who complain are told
> to set INSTALL_MASK but that is somewhat unwieldy.
>
> A separate package for the unit file would solve this problem nicely.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't your average ebuild file larger than
your average systemd unit file?

> Another option would be to add a "dounit" command to a future EAPI (like
> doinitd today) and make portage install them unless FEATURES="nounit"
> (like nodoc/noinfo/noman today).

I'm beginning to warm up to the idea of replacing most init scripts with
systemd unit files and a unit->init converter. This is obviously
nonsense if upstream provides init scripts, but I'm unsure how common
that is. (or even could be)