On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 5:00 AM, Ulrich Mueller <u...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Shouldn't this be REQUIRES_TEAM instead? A "herd" used to be a
> collection of packages, whereas the devs maintaining them were called
> a team. Or don't we care about this distinction any more?

Certainly when I was recruited this distinction was made.  In recent
years it seems to have gone away.  I'm not going to nitpick on terms
because the present system mostly works.

The original definitions was that groups of packages are herds, and
groups of people are projects.  The fact that nobody seems to actually
formalize their projects (create page, elect leads, etc) probably
contributes to conflating the two.  Plus, it really isn't that much of
a value-add to clone the namespace/etc.  Willikins thinks of people as
part of herds as well.

Rich