On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 21:14:45 +0100
Markos Chandras <hwoar...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> And besides that, I am sure that 98% of our users out there do not
> know they run a (heavily?) modified upstream kernel when they emerge
> the official/supported gentoo-sources.

This point I do understand.

> The transition between the minimal genpatches to the
> "new-shiny-feature-full" was made behind the scenes. This should have
> been communicated earlier in time.

Apart from the BFQ test in ~3 versions, there did not really happen a
transition yet; unless you consider fbcondecor to be part of that, ...

> If you ask me, I would prefer if you apply all the 3rd-party patches
> conditionally (use flag?, maybe a new gentoo-sources-ng ebuild?)
> It's really scary to have the BFQ in a stable gentoo-sources ebuild.

An USE flag sounds like something that would make sense; similarly,
someone suggested in a mail to cover this as well under a new set in
genpatches; currently we do "base" (Linux patches + fixes) and "extra",
we could extend this with "experimental" or something like that.

An "experimental" USE flag definitely makes sense; and documents where
users can find the introduced CONFIG_GENTOO_EXPERIMENTAL kernel option
in its USE flag description, as well as a page documenting the patches
present in the kernel as well as where they can be found in menuconfig.

In the long end, this documentation could be generated from the patches.

So, we introduce USE=-experimental in the eclass which users would have
to enable to get these patches to even apply; that way users can still
see and use a completely untampered kernel, in case they want to want to
apply patches that fail against all the experimental patches.

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D