On Mon, 1 Jul 2013 14:24:54 -0700
Greg KH <gre...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> > but suppose people
> > want BFQ? Why can't we have it in gentoo-sources.  It is totally
> > disabled by not selecting CONFIG_BFQ.  Selecting it is no different
> > than emerging pf-sources with the same other options ported over.
>
> Until you run into a patch that modifies code outside of it's CONFIG_
> option, like the aufs example I pointed out.

It would be policy to not add such patches, unless wrapped with config
checks by a script; further more, I discussed USE=-experimental with
mpagano and he found this separation a good idea, we can split this into
a third experimental tarball to not surprise non-Gentoo users as well.

mpagano as well as I stand completely behind that gentoo-sources must
remain usable for production servers; which this USE flag fulfills, as
well as separate from all of this to use live ebuilds in our testing to
avoid surprises that even our non-experimental genpatches could bring.

(For those in #gentoo-kernel, that conversation happened there)

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D