On 08/07/2013 10:16 AM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
> Also, I think we should stop spending a lot of time trying to keep it
> working with openrc, we simply don't have resources to do that at the
> moment (even Debian/Ubuntu people are stick with systemd-204 because
> they don't have resources to keep logind working without systemd in
> newer versions). Now, we are needing to put a lot of effort on trying to
> provide unit files and provide systemd related fixes in the tree because
> we haven't (in general) pay attention to systemd at all => I think we
> should put more efforts on it than trying to work on hacks to prevent
> systemd dependency.

I agree that there's no point in hacking software that voluntarily ties
itself to systemd to *not* be tied to it, but dependency on any single
init system is a bad idea. There are multiple kernels, multiple libc's,
multiple device management layers, multiple inits, etc. Preventing
dependency on certain things is a good way to enforce software diversity.

Granted, in systemd's case Gentoo's not the place to do it. It's the
upstreams that should be convinced or told not to depend on a single
init system.

Forgive me if my interpretation is wrong; it just seemed to me that you
were all for vertical integration (systemd dependency as a whole) and
the systemd creep is one of the reasons I came to Gentoo. I'd hate to
see developers abandoning their work on OpenRC or other Gentoo projects
to embrace the Red Hat campaign.