Pacho Ramos schrieb:

> This makes me think what is the problem with people moving to systemd as
> udev provider (even running openrc) :/

You can't use eudev in that case.

> 2. About the other one: probably somebody adding systemd to
> package.provide *on purpose* will remember to know that he needs a
> device manager (either udev or eudev) and don't let depclean remove
> it :|

package.provided is dangerous, and users better avoid it if there is an
alternative way to achieve the same thing.

> Other possible solution would be the following:
> 3. Add a "openrc-force" USE flag to offending packages. This USE flag
> would be masked in all profiles, needing users to unmask it locally (the
> packages would warn about it when enabling and so)

Ok so we have these options:

1. keep systemd as hard dependency (current)
2. IUSE="+systemd" or "openrc-force" with ewarn when set to unsupported state
3. #2 + systemd in package.use.force, can be unforced via profile or manually
4. #2 + openrc-force in package.use.mask, can be unmasked by the user

In any case, a user running Gnome without systemd will have to take extra
actions that acknowledge that his configuration is unsupported.

Question is, which solutions are acceptable to the Gnome team? :)

Best regards,
Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn