On Sun, 8 Sep 2013 11:05:16 +0000 (UTC)
Martin Vaeth <va...@mathematik.uni-wuerzburg.de> wrote:

> Ryan Hill <dirtye...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> > In any case this is a firm no.
> > The increase in loading times for apps that link lots of libraries is
> > significant (if it wasn't, we wouldn't need lazy loading :p).

> You get the same delay for lazy linking, only not necessarily
> everything immediately when the application starts up.
> And even then it is only faster (at startup) if only very few symbols
> are needed near the beginning.
>
> Quite the opposite, total time of loading huge projects like
> kde or libreoffice can even be faster with "now", since you do
> not need administration overhead for keeping track of resolving.
> I did not realize a measurable difference for kde and libreoffice
> even on my slow machines - random things like location on harddisk
> apparently had a much bigger impact on startup.
> Please really try before you fix your opinion.

I'm basing my opinion on the experiences reported by other distros, by
openwall, and by our own hardened team.  In any case my opinion doesn't really
matter because in the end since I'm not the one who gets to make that
decision.  I misrepresented that and I apologize.  I would still be against
making this change.

> >> However, isn't it time to use "gnu" now for all users? [...]
> >
> > Sure, but the sysv hash is teeny and backward compatibility is
> > always nice if it's next to free.
>
> But it is not completely free, and the majority of users
> will never have any need for it - in factõ I do not know
> any use-case, but of course I do not know all ancient software
> sitting around somewhere.
> Those few who need it can add the option without difficulties.

FWIW I agree but I am not the binutils maintainer.

--
Ryan Hill                        psn: dirtyepic_sk
   gcc-porting/toolchain/wxwidgets @ gentoo.org

47C3 6D62 4864 0E49 8E9E  7F92 ED38 BD49 957A 8463