On Tue, Feb 4, 2014 at 10:15 PM, Steev Klimaszewski <st...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> You know what - this is pure and utter bullshit.  Keeping it around for
> "slower" arches does NOT block progress.  I have intimate knowledge with
> what ACTUALLY happens when people pull this bullshit - and that is a
> system that I can no longer actually work on.

It isn't like deleted ebuilds magically disappear.  You can always dig
them out of CVS and stick them in an overlay.  It just isn't the
maintainer's problem.  Any dev can also co-maintain a package and keep
the old version around.

Main issue I could see with that is stuff we don't stick in cvs/git,
like large patches and non-upstream distfiles.  That really does need
a better solution as has come up before on-list, but I think this is
really a different problem.

> I'm now going to take a break from Gentoo development because this
> thread has seriously caused my blood to boil based on comments from the
> peanut gallery (you) where things don't actually affect your day to day
> work, but your actions do affect mine.

Email threads really aren't the venue for decision-making.  They're a
great place to suggest ideas, and you have to look at them that way.
I've barely skimmed half the messages in this thread, mainly to look
for actual solution suggestions, and sometimes the first reply to one
contains some useful criticism.

It looks like QA has actually intervened with an intended solution.
If you don't like it anybody can ask the council to intervene (looks
like there is less than a week to the next meeting).

Simply debating the issues back and forth on an email list really
isn't like to change things much, and as you and others have pointed
out it can be an extremely frustrating activity.

Rich