On 2014.02.28 14:44, Samuli Suominen wrote:

> On 28/02/14 16:18, Tom Wijsman wrote:
> > On Fri, 28 Feb 2014 15:28:30 +0200
> > Samuli Suominen <ssuomi...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> >
> >> It would be very helpful if INSTALL_MASK could be overriden from
> an
> >> ebuild, ...
> > What is the intended goal? Can you give an example?
>
> - User has INSTALL_MASK="/lib/systemd"
> - Ebuild has INSTALL_MASK_OVERRIDE="/lib/systemd/systemd-udevd
> /lib/systemd/network"
> - Portage's default is to respect ebuild first, then users setting,
> unless he changes INSTALL_MASK_ORDER to respect his
>
> I completely agree using INSTALL_MASK is 100% responsibility of the
> user
> setting it, it's like blind 'rm -f', but some people
> don't agree and keep attacking me.
> I'm using the word attacking because it's constant, relentless,
> repeating and I don't see an end to it. I believe Poly-C just
> proofed that point in this thread.

Samuli,

You can't win this one.
Consider ln -s /dev/null /lib/systemd/
or whatever. It achieves the same thing and you can't override it
unless you also remove the symlink.

INSTALL_MASK means
I_KNOW_WHAT_IM_DOING_AND_AM_PREPARED_TO_KEEP_THE_PIECES

systemd and the components it has sucked in has become the centre of a
religious war with Zelots on both sides.
All an INSTALL_MASK_OVERRIDE would do is escalate the war.

--
Regards,

Roy Bamford
(Neddyseagoon) a member of