On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 09:53:57PM -0500, Rick "Zero_Chaos" Farina wrote:
> On 12/31/2013 06:43 PM, Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
> > Am Dienstag, 31. Dezember 2013, 23:30:14 schrieb Mike Gilbert:
> >> I have noticed that the arch profile directories (profiles/arch/$ARCH)
> >> are not EAPI 5 capable. These profiles are inherited by both the default
> >> and hardened profiles and contain arch-specific settings. They are often
> >> used to override masks set in the base profile.

> To ease this transition, I've drafted a news item based on info from
> zmedico's blog about when eapi 5 was first supported.
>
> This is, in my eyes, the simplest way to transition users who may be on
> really, really, really outdated systems.  It occurred to me I could make
> a minimal snapshot instead, but it seems much much safer to do this for
> now.  Please review the news article.

I agree, and it's much appreciated.
Just a couple of minor typos.

> Title: Profile EAPI 5 requirement
> Author: Zero_Chaos <zeroch...@gentoo.org>
> Revision: 1
> News-Item-Format: 1.0
> Display-If-Installed: <2.2.0_alpha130
>
> In its last session, the Gentoo council decided that the

Capital 'C' for Council, same as Trustees.

> entire profile tree will be updated to require EAPI=5 support.
>
> http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/meeting-logs/20140114.txt
>
> For all non-deprecated profiles this requirement has already been in
> place for
> over one year. If you have updated your system at any point during 2013, and
> followed the instructions in the profile deprecation warnings (which
> cannot really easily be overlooked), and are running an up-to-date portage
> version, there is absolutely nothing that you need to do now.
>
> If you are running an installation that has not been updated for more
> than a
> year, the portage tree you have just updated to is may be incompatible

s/is //

> with your
> portage version, and the profile you are using may be gone.
>
> It is still possible to upgrade, if you follow these simple steps:

I'd: s/if you follow/following/ (less to read, less conditional)
but it's not an error of any sort.

> 1.) Do not panic.

Heh I like :)

> 2.) Download a portage snapshot from
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~zerochaos/snapshots
> 3.) Unpack the snapshot to /tmp/
> 4.) If you are not already, become root
> 5.) rsync --recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --force
> - --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --exclude=/distfiles
> - --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --verbose --progress
> - --omit-dir-times /tmp/portage /usr/portage
> 6.) If needed, set your profile to a modern one (typically named 13.0)
> 7.) emerge --update --oneshot portage
>
> Now that you have a modern copy of portage, you can go back to updating
> your system as usual.
> Please update your system at LEAST twice a year to avoid issues like
> this in the future.
> Thanks for flying Gentoo.

Now I see why you were asking about default rsync in #-portage :)

Very nice, and thanks for doing this.

Regards,
igli
--
#friendly-coders -- We're friendly, but we're not /that/ friendly ;-)