On 02/04/14 05:02, Matt Turner wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 9:38 AM, Tom Wijsman <tom...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> Projects like the Council, ComRel and QA are there to protect Gentoo;
>> and yes, people are (or should be) lining up to protect Gentoo.
> ... from QA.
>
> You don't seem to understand what Samuli is saying. QA is being used
> as an offensive weapon. It's a stick to bludgeon others with.

Exactly.

Anyone remembers what happened the last time this was tried?

The "QA" attempted to force developers who didn't care if removed
ebuilds are recorded in the ChangeLog or
not, even while there was no policy in place that said they should be
recorded there, and nothing was ever broken.
People simply had different workflows.

The whole existing team died with that debacle. I don't expect it to go
exactly like that, this time, as the issue and
people involved are different, but the point is, nothing good came out
of it.
If the people who insisted they should be recorded there had been in a
productive fashion drive repoman to be
patched for --echangelog, or discuss other solutions, we could have
skipped the useless mudslinging.

Force is not hardly ever the correct answer. It might work in a
workplace, but not when people are contributing
for free.

- Samuli