On 04/13/2014 20:17, Patrick Lauer wrote:
> On 04/14/2014 04:42 AM, Joshua Kinard wrote:
>>
>> So one of the side-discussions happening after Heartbleed was the fact that
>> OpenSSL has its own memory allocator code that effectively mitigates any C
>> library-provided exploit mitigations (as discussed on the openbsd-misc ML at
>> [1] and Ted Unangst's blogs at [2] and [3]).
> [snip good explanation]
>
>> It basically provides a secure memory area protected by guard pages for
>> sensitive data, like RSA private keys, so that if another Heartbleed-like
>> event occurs, things won't be as bad.  Hopefully...
>
> http://lekkertech.net/akamai.txt

I was not aware of that write up.  Nice find!  That effectively rules this
patch out.

>> Is this something we want to look at adding to our openssl copy via an
>> optional USE flag (default off)?
>
> At this point in time I'd say we better wait for the storm to settle
> down - apparently the akamai patches are only fixing a small part of the
> problem.
>
> I don't have a strong opinion as I haven't had to think about the
> internals of crypto software in a while, but hastily adding
> not-well-reviewed code might not be the best strategy.

Agreed.  Crypto is not my strong suite, but I thought I'd see what others
thought on the patch.  Someone is either going to step up and really "fix"
OpenSSL or the community will eventually nominate a replacement for it (ala
XFree86 -> Xorg).

--
Joshua Kinard
Gentoo/MIPS

"The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us.  And
our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."

--Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic