Am 13.04.2014 22:42, schrieb Joshua Kinard:
> So one of the side-discussions happening after Heartbleed was the fact that
> OpenSSL has its own memory allocator code that effectively mitigates any C
> library-provided exploit mitigations (as discussed on the openbsd-misc ML at
> [1] and Ted Unangst's blogs at [2] and [3]).  This is partially why there's
> so much "interesting" data to be sniffed from a server's memory via the
> heartbleed response packets -- that memory wasn't really initialized to
> random data or zero'd upon malloc(), nor garbage-collected upon free().
>
> Taking place over on the openssl-users ML, someone from Akamai posted a new
> secure memory allocator patch[4][5] that they have been using in production
> for about a decade.  That patch was cleaned up, diff'ed against
> openssl-1.0.1g, and posted to openssl-dev here:
> https://marc.info/?l=openssl-dev&m=139733477712798&q=p5
>
> It basically provides a secure memory area protected by guard pages for
> sensitive data, like RSA private keys, so that if another Heartbleed-like
> event occurs, things won't be as bad.  Hopefully...
>
> Is this something we want to look at adding to our openssl copy via an
> optional USE flag (default off)?

Not really, no. I would rather wait until other people have reviewed
and/or it has been pulled into openssl.

To cite the Akamai dev who posted the patch [1]:
"Let me restate that: *do not just take this patch and put it into
production without careful review.*"

Best,
Tiziano

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.encryption.openssl.user/51243?resub=1