On Fri, 9 May 2014 16:15:58 -0400
Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> I think fixing upstream is a no-brainer.

It indeed is, this is the goal; you can force them in multiple ways,
some of which can be found on the Lua bug and previous discussion(s).

> The controversy only exists when upstream refuses to cooperate (which
> seems to be the case when we're one of six distros patching it).  If
> there are other situations where we supply our own files please speak
> up.

Not that I know of; the refusal to cooperate is what this is all about,
see my last response to hwoarang before this mail for a short summary.
Though, I think that the Lua maintainers can explain all the details...

> When the only issue is maintainer laziness I could see fixing that in
> a different way...

It has always been an issue; we could always use more manpower, ...

https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Contributing_to_Gentoo

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D