On 07/08/2014 09:48 PM, Matthew Thode wrote:
> arm has a historical problem with stabilization, while keywording
> doesn't require access to all arm sub-arches the problem with the
> stabilization slowness causes running a full ~arm to become hard.  By
> that I mean that if someone keywords something for arm because it works
> on armv7 and I run ~arm because stabilization takes forever then my
> system may break because of both non-stabilized packages and because I
> could be running armv6.

I admit the stabilization policy could use some work, however, arm isn't
even the slowest of the minor arches.

> In any case I propose splitting out arm into armv4, armv5, armv6 and
> armv7.  armv8 seems to be here already as arm64.

Just no.  no.  We support ~5 arm versions, and most of those can run
softfloat, softfp, and hardfloat, all of which need testing.  We are
working on revising the stabilization requirements to be less stringent,
but we are not splitting the arm team into 15 teams.

> I think this would be beneficial because of not all developers that want
> to help with arm have or what all the sub-arches necessary.  It also
> allows us to move faster on stabilization because most of us have access
> to armv7 a bit easier.  This would take some pressure off of the people
> doing stabilization for older sub-arches, but not much.

We have devices available to all developers for all supported arches, if
you were even on the arm team, you would know this.

> Some issues that need solving are as follows.
>
> [hard|soft]float differences.  what stabilization means would need to be
> clarified a bit here.
>
> additional overhead of multiple arm teams
>

> Might be missing some points, but that's the main stuff I think

Maybe you should actually join the arm team and learn some of this
really critical stuff that you are ignoring rather than just making
insane suggestions on the ML?

Thanks,
Zero_Chaos
Arm Team Lead