On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 21:34:10 -0400
Alexandre Rostovtsev <tetrom...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 2014-07-21 at 22:56 +0200, Michał Górny wrote:
> > Yes, it does. I'm not sure if it leads anywhere, though. Dynamic
> > deps are a pipe dream. You can't implement them properly, so we're
> > using half-working implementation as an excuse to be lazy.
>
> Why not adapt the updates mechanism for modifying rdepends? Perhaps
> something like
>
> rdepends-add foo-bar/blah-3.14 "wombat? ( >=dev-libs/wombat-1.0 )"
>
> This would give the package manager all the benefits of static dep
> resolution while allowing us to dynamically make simple changes (like
> adding a missing dependency to an ebuild) without forcing users to
> rebuild the package.

Thinking this through:

 1) What about rdepends-change and rdepends-del? If you only support
 addition; you get the same problem as with things like pkgmove,
 changing and/or removing it could become somewhat problematic.

 2) This needs two commits every time you want to do this; one commit
 for the updates/, another to keep the ebuild recent for (rev)bumps.

 3) It'll be a lot of fun to attempt to support this in Repoman.

 4) How do we clean up these entries? Doesn't this info grow fast?

 5) The first paramater: Should that point to a single ebuild? Should
 that support ranges?

--
With kind regards,

Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
Gentoo Developer

E-mail address  : tom...@gentoo.org
GPG Public Key  : 6D34E57D
GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2  ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D