Tom Wijsman posted on Tue, 22 Jul 2014 23:47:48 +0200 as excerpted:

> On Mon, 21 Jul 2014 19:37:17 +0000 hasufell <hasuf...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>
>> afaiu dynamic deps are broken and not defined in PMS
>
> It goes a step further than that!
>
> The PMS imposes certain limits on dependencies; it states that DEPEND
> must be present before executing src_* phases, that RDEPEND must be
> present before treating the results as usable and that PDEPEND must be
> done before finishing the batch of installs.
>
> http://dev.gentoo.org/~ulm/pms/5/pms.html#x1-750008.1
>
> If you attempt to fit in dynamic dependencies in that specification; the
> src_* phases could never run, the results can never be considered usable
> and the batch of installs can never finish.

How long have dynamic-deps been around?  Since EAPI-0?  Because if so,
that interpretation must be incorrect, since EAPI-0 was defined as
portage behavior at the time, and AFAIK, no EAPI since then has been
approved without a working portage implementation.

In the context of dynamic-deps I'd interpret the above to mean within a
single portage session.  What happens some sessions later when an
ebuild's deps are dynamic-updated after a tree sync is an entirely new
session, and unless I'm missing something, the above PMS requirements can
be met within a single session with dynamic-deps.

>> still... people seem to fix deps without revbumping, causing users who
>> either don't use dynamic deps (it's optional for portage through
>> --dynamic-deps=y, although it's on by default) or who use a different
>> PM to not get the fix, at worst resulting in broken dependency
>> calculation
>
> Why do we have a PMS if we don't take into account other PMs?
>
> Is Gentoo still a meta distribution? How does the Portage tree portage?

This remains a valid question.

(FWIW, after some cleanup I set dynamic-deps=n in defaultopts, and did my
last update, about nine days after my last sync and update, without
dynamic-deps.  We'll see how it goes longer term.  Tho I guess people
like me who have been running --newuse --deep for ages are half-way-there
already.)