On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 5:33 PM, Ciaran McCreesh
<ciaran.mccre...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 17:26:27 -0400
> Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> But, in that case you can put the necessary ebuilds into your overlay
>> and then portage can make everything right.
>
> Oh? Please explain to us a) how the overlay interaction *actually* works
> with dynamic dependencies currently,

No idea.  I doubt it is specified behavior.  Certainly we should learn
whatever lessons we can from what has been done already, but we aren't
constrained by it.

> and b) how it can work both in the
> case you describe, and in the case where an overlay has a substantially
> different ebuild for the same package.

I'd think that a change in repository should probably be treated like
a revbump.  There is no way to know that foo-1-r1 in one overlay is
the same as foo-1-r1 in another.  The package manager has to figure
out which overlay to use already, and if the same PV shows up in a
higher-priority overlay then it is treated as a revbump of whatever is
in the lower-priority overlay and it triggers a rebuild.  Maybe you
could get clever about checking for identical ebuilds/eclasses/etc and
avoid a rebuild if it literally is the same file, but I wouldn't go
further than that.

Rich