Rich Freeman:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 6:18 AM, hasufell <hasuf...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> Ulrich Mueller:
>>>
>>> ChangeLogs are aimed at users
>>
>> Did any1 ask them if they care?
>>

> I'm sure somebody will reply and say that they care.
>
> It still seems like a lot of overhead to me for a very one-off
> workflow.  Maybe if portage automatically output the relevant
> changelog entries in pretend mode we could pretend that they're news
> or something like that.  Most likely, if you stick something important
> in the changelog it will be read by maybe 0.1% of our users before
> emerging the package.  Maybe if you're lucky 20% of people running
> into some kind of breakage will read the changelog after the fact.  I
> imagine that 19.5% of those 20% would check the git log if the
> changelog didn't exist.
>
> If we actually move to a model where many users actually sync their
> trees from git, then I'd expect the changelogs to be even less useful.
> After all, git will actually tell you what changed since your last
> sync.

And git allows you to _properly_ check for changes, because all changes
are in one history, so you don't have to grep 3+ ChangeLogs (e.g. in
eclasses, profiles and licenses) in order to know what happened.
Even easier... related changes might just go in one commit and when you
look for it you'll also see the other files that have been modified as
part of a version bump (e.g. a useflag mask or whatever).

The only place I actually look for changes is the gentoo-commits ML
which is kind of the poor version of a git history.