On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 07:37:19AM -0400, Alex Xu wrote:
> On 13/10/14 05:35 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
> > Please review the following news item.
> >
> > -----
> >
> > Title: bash-completion-2.1-r90
> > Author: Michał Górny <mgo...@gentoo.org>
> > Revision: 1
> > News-Item-Format: 1.0
> > Display-If-Installed: <app-shells/bash-completion-2.1-r90
> >
> > Starting with app-shells/bash-completion-2.1-r90, we are enabling
> > the completion autoloading support. Along with it, we are replacing
> > the eselect-bashcomp module with a new one suited better for the new
> > framework.
> >
> > Users will notice that the new framework is opt-out rather than opt-in.
> > Since completions are loaded on-demand, all of them are enabled
> > by default. If some of them are undesired, eselect-bashcomp can be used
> > to explicitly disable (mask) them.
> >
> > The current eselect-bashcomp setup will *not* be migrated. It may be
> > necessary to rebuild packages installing completions after the upgrade,
> > and remove old configuration symlinks afterwards. For details, please
> > consult the app-shells/bash-completion post-install messages.
> >

> seems too oriented towards developer audiences, whereas news items are
> intended to target users; iow, I don't care what's going on behind the
> scenes, just tell me what I need to do to fix it.

 I disagree. I'm a user, and I'm interested in what is going on behind
 the scenes. I think that it's safe to assume that many Gentoo users care
 about the internals of the distribution too. I've actually been waiting
 for this to hit the tree since mgorny announced it. The news announcement
 is pretty good; I'd only incorporate pacho's suggestion to include the two
 commands needed to fix old stuff, and then I think it's good to go.

 —Guilherme