For compatibility and migration support, we've kept the old OpenLDAP
2.3.x ebuilds in the tree for nearly 5 years.

OpenLDAP-2.4.x first went to stable 2009/11/04.
package.mask has blocked <net-nds/openldap-2.4.35 since 2014/03/20.

I think the time has come to fully remove 2.3.x series, and the older
masked 2.4.x builds, so I strongly encourage everybody to move.

The ebuild includes upgrade instructions, as in most major version
upgrades you need to dump+restore the database (both OpenLDAP major
versions, as well as changing backends or sys-lib/db major versions).

Since it's been in package.mask for 6 months without reported bugs
complaining about this, I'm not going to announce it via a news item
unless there are strong demands to.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux: Developer, Infrastructure Lead