On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 07:52:03AM +0800, Patrick Lauer wrote:
> On 10/14/14 05:22, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
> > For compatibility and migration support, we've kept the old OpenLDAP
> > 2.3.x ebuilds in the tree for nearly 5 years.
>
> And you better keep them for a while, because some of us are stuck with
> 2.3, and mixed operation (e.g. master 2.4, slaves 2.3) is not supported.
>
> Since for example CentOS 5 is still around and there's no upgrade path,
> well, some people like me still have to use 2.3 ...
CentOS6/7 don't resolve that issue for you?

So far you're one user, but that's enough to warrant a news item.

I would really like to get the old stuff out of the tree, it's been
around a very long time, has security issues, and the 2.3 ebuilds don't
comply with newer EAPIs and QA practices (I suspect that probably won't
even compile with newer berkdb and gnutls).

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux: Developer, Infrastructure Lead