On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 05:42:57AM -0400, Rich Freeman wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 28, 2014 at 11:37 PM, Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov
> <m...@mva.name> wrote:
> > Btw, since Gentoo do not (mostly) provide packages itself, but only build
> > instructions (ebuild), can't we just ship ebuild that "patches" openldap
> > violates to force to use db6>=19 with "bindist" USE?
> Can we do it legally?  Sure.
>
> Will we do it?  I think that depends on whether the maintainer or
> somebody else wants to keep up with the necessary work if upstream has
> dropped it.
>
> It is really up to the maintainer.  Generally we try to follow
> upstream because we don't have the manpower to do otherwise most of
> the time.
Upstream openldap notes that Oracle's lawyers has pursued anybody found
using the AGPL3 BDB & OpenLDAP together.

So unless you have a commercial license [1] for BDB to escape AGPL3 in
that case, you'll find yourself in a sticky situation quickly.

Upstream asked me to make it harder for users to get burnt like this,
and I agreed. See my comments in the original bug (bug 525110#c16), if
there is a user that DOES have that Oracle license [2], I'll find a way
to support them via useflag.

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_DB#Licensing
As of July 2011, Oracle's list price for non-copyleft Berkeley DB
licenses varies between 900 and 13,800 USD per processor.

[2] This puts it in the same camp as the original Oracle OCI8 support we
put in PHP; before oracle-instantclient-* packages were in the tree.
There was demand, just non-trivial to support, as we as devs could not
easily test it.

--
Robin Hugh Johnson
Gentoo Linux: Developer, Infrastructure Lead