On Sat, 08 Nov 2014 15:45:30 -0800 Zac Medico wrote:
> On 11/08/2014 03:33 PM, Patrick Lauer wrote:
> > We can choose for "code that works reasonably fast" - portage hasn't
> > gotten any noticeable work on performance in a while, and people have
> > just piled on more and more features and complexity.
>
> Yes, as one of only 2 people who have worked on the resolver in recent
> history, I agree with your statement. There have been lots of features
> added (including EAPI 5 sub-slot rebuilds), with not much thought to
> performance tuning. It will be interesting to do some profiling and see
> what we can improve.
>
> > There's no reason that it takes a minute to start up,
>
> If it takes a minute then it probably means that
> /var/cache/edb/vdb_metadata.pickle got deleted. In that case, it has to
> reload lots of metadata from /var/db/pkg/*/*/*.

On old hardware it may take dozens of minutes of CPU time. I have
that *.pickle files, I have sqlite metadata cache, I have 100% CPU
usage. It's not an I/O problem. Just take into account that due to
instruction set, Lx cache, frequency and memory speed difference
old CPU-based system may be 20x times slower than recent one.

Best regards,
Andrew Savchenko