Hello,

On Sun, 09 Nov 2014 00:15:56 -0800 Zac Medico wrote:
> On 11/08/2014 10:53 PM, Andrew Savchenko wrote:
[...]
> > On old hardware it may take dozens of minutes of CPU time. I have
> > that *.pickle files, I have sqlite metadata cache, I have 100% CPU
> > usage. It's not an I/O problem. Just take into account that due to
> > instruction set, Lx cache, frequency and memory speed difference
> > old CPU-based system may be 20x times slower than recent one.
>
> It could be useful for us to collect profiling data generated on old
> hardware. If you'd like to help, you can use python's cProfile module to
> generate statistics for us to analyze. The statistics can be nicely
> visualized as a shaded call graph by using gprof2dot and graphviz [1].

Sorry for delay, I generated samples on two old hosts.

Tarball contains per host directories. Each one contains:
- pstats file;
- generated pdf with call graphs and timing;
- host-related information:
  * emerge --info
  * /proc/cpuinfo
  * /proc/memnifo

*.pstats and *.pdf filename should describe command unambiguously,
e.g. emerge-pv_python:2.7_python:3.3-python-3.3.5-r1 means:
emerge -pv python:2.7 python:3.3 while using python-3.3.5-r1 as
interpreter.

hitomi system was not fully updated for a bit more than a year,
while another one for about half a year. So dependency calculations
may be of different intencities. Sets of packages installed are
similar but not the same:
2502 on hitomi
2953 on desktop

I understand that most interesting data will be from emerge -DNupv
output, but to obtain it I must first fix all blockers and
conflicts, this really takes a lot of time, so please be patient.

And last but not the list: on both systems portage is configured to
use sqlite3 cache for metadata, so there was no I/O delays (CPU
usage about 100% according to top).

In order not to abuse mail list with large attachments, data is
available here:
ftp://brunestud.info/gentoo/portage.tar.xz

Best regards,
Andrew Savchenko