On Mon, 26 Jan 2015 09:20:30 -0500
Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 26, 2015 at 8:21 AM, Duncan <1i5t5.dun...@cox.net> wrote:
> > The result of the current policy is that if you're waiting for the
> > GLSA, unless it's _extreme_ priority (heartbleed level), on at
> > least amd64, you're very often sitting there exposed for well over
> > a week, and too often a month, after the fix is out there, actually
> > installed on /my/ systems.  And to me that's a game of Russian
> > Roulette odds that I'm simply not willing to play.
>
> From a PR standpoint we'll be communicating to some users that they
> are vulnerable, and we haven't completely fixed the issue yet.  I
> think we just need to reset expectations here.  The fact is that today
> they're just as vulnerable, but we don't broadcast that.  Sending out
> notice sooner will help out users who want to update based on GLSAs,
> and if there isn't a stable version yet the user can decide whether to
> just wait for testing or move ahead on their own.

I do check also other sources of security related info and take
measures if it affects me (update affected package, change
configuration, ...).  I should say earlier "security updates" instead
of "GLSAs" which would be actually closer to reality.

I agree that (unfixed) security issues should be communicated so we do
not put false hopes to GLSA.

Robert

--
Róbert Čerňanský