On Thu, Mar 19, 2015 at 8:39 AM, Brian Dolbec <dol...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> It is that ebuild tree that is the core to
> what makes it a gentoo system.

I think this is really the heart of your argument and others who feel
"gentoo" is the best name for the repository.

I'm not going to argue against that here.  I'm not convinced that
Gentoo is just the ebuild tree, but you're not really saying that.

Is there a good reason not to call the repository "gentoo" and leave
it at that?  Are there other source repositories that are also key to
Gentoo such that such a generic name would cause confusion?

I think the biggest argument against this is that a Gentoo install is
a compilation of many Gentoo projects, of which the ebuild tree is a
key and unifying one, but it also includes stuff like the install
media, stage3, openrc/baselayout, maybe eudev, and usually
portage/emerge.

Is there more to it than this?  Is there a new argument we haven't
already heard?  I just want to make sure all the perspectives are out
there before a call gets made.

--
Rich