On Sun, Mar 29, 2015 at 8:23 PM, Rich Freeman <ri...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> I think we really need to either stabilize 4.8.6, or backport
> qtchooser/multilib/etc to the current stable version.

Backporting is not an option. The introduction of multilib support in
qt4 required extensive changes to the eclass (substantial portions of
code were rewritten) and the ebuilds.

Therefore stabilizing 4.8.6-r1 is the way to go. We had surprisingly
few regressions, but the ones that are still unsolved are proving
quite hard to debug. Please help with the blockers of bug #530238.

As usual, at least for me, the problem is the lack of time for gentoo
development, plus the fact that very few people are actively working
on qt{4,5} packaging (kensington, me, and more recently yngwin).

> qt is a pretty significant package to have break with multilib, and
> trying to run qt-5 on a stable system is already a nightmare with the
> qtchooser switch (in my case I ended up abandoning qt5 as I didn't
> need it that badly).

I'm not sure how qt5 is relevant to this discussion.

Thanks,
Davide