> and python very often *is* saying "Support for python" ( not in, but _for_
> )

Why should the user care if python is supported? What does python support
per se offer to the user? I would argue that what's important are the
features exposed via Python stuff (unless the user theyself is expected to
write some Python code, of course).

Same logic applies for C++14, IMHO.

> What does it matter to a user that its in C++14 ? It doesn't.

And end user is more concerned with "what does this do for me".

> If a useflag doesn't tell me what it does for me, then what impetus is
> there for me to toggle it?

The consequences do matter, like pulling and building llvm/clang, if not
present already. Toggle it if you're ready to deal with the consequences
(having clang in your system, particularly).

Speaking of llvm, media-libs/mesa has "llvm" use flag. Why should user care
if it's llvm or whatever?

> For instance, Seamonkey doesn't have a USE=perl flag. Nor should it have
> one.

Nice example with USE=perl, thanks! git has that, for instance. Without
that, `git add -i` won't work, but I still have USE=perl, not
USE=add_interactive and possibly a bunch of other features depending on
Perl that would pull it when enabled.

--
  Georg Rudoy