On 30 July 2015 at 01:22, William Hubbs <willi...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 30, 2015 at 01:11:30AM +0300, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
>> On 29 July 2015 at 23:20, William Hubbs <willi...@gentoo.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > All,
>> >
>> > so that there is a better idea out there of what I'm talking about, the
>> > OpenRC github repository now has a mount-service branch.
>>
>> Nice!
>>
>> But I still trying to figure out why do we need to keep fstab around.
>> It is pure legacy.
>
> Is it? I have heard different people say it is, and it isn't, so I have
> no idea.
>
> If fstab is truly legasy, I'll look into that.

for what it worth, a fstab.d would have been something usable... :)

but if you are providing netifrc like configuration, there is no need
to split configuration between the layout and the fstab, everything
should be at one place if possible.

maybe we can have some intermediate options... to bridge the gap, but
all are in the scope of conf.d, examples:

eval $(openrc-mount-helper-fstab ${NAME} /mnt/auto)

or... builtin

mount_driver_\${NAME}=fstab  # will call eval
$(openrc-mount-helper-${openrc-mount-driver-\${NAME}} ${NAME} "$@")
mount_mountpoint=/mnt/auto

but this fstab usage is optional.