On Sun, Aug 2, 2015 at 2:21 PM, Andrew Savchenko <birc...@gentoo.org> wrote:

> This is a clean solution for developers and maintainers, but not
> for ordinary users — they will confused by "qt qt4 qt5": "what is
> 'qt', how is it different from 'qt4' and 'qt5'. What you are really
> doing is implementing second-level USE flags, while they were
> supposed to be linear.

No argument that it isn't intuitive, but setting USE=qt and forgetting
about it certainly seems more user-friendly than setting qt4/qt5 on
individual packages and worrying about which is better where.  To some
extent the current qt policy accomplishes this, but it sacrifices
control when users actually do want it.

I'm a bit torn on the issue myself, but just telling users to set
USE=qt and forget about it unless you really care seems pretty simple
to me.  The documentation for USE=qt4/qt5 could say "this is an
advanced setting for users who want to prefer the qt4 implementation
over others - set USE=qt if all you care about is qt support."

--
Rich