11.08.2015 15:32, Michael Palimaka пишет:
> On 11/08/15 20:17, Sergey Popov wrote:
>> 09.08.2015 23:28, Ulrich Mueller пишет:
>>> I disagree with this. Really, REQUIRED_USE should be used sparingly,
>>> and IMHO the above is not a legitimate usage case for it.
>>
>> So, you prefer to make ugly mess of deps here like i posted before or
>> introduce some really unneded USE-flag like 'gui', 'qt', etc. to make
>> users even more confused?
>>
>> Really, look at man-db ebuild. Especially on berkdb and gdbm USE flags.
>> And dependency string like this:
>>
>> !berkdb? ( !gdbm? ( sys-libs/gdbm ) )
>>
>> One sentence: "WHAT THE HELL?"
>>
>> Imagine that it would be dozen of flags. Is it fun to mess with deps
>> like this for you?
>
> Shall we ban this too?
>
> ffmpeg? (
>         libav? ( media-video/libav:= )
>         !libav? ( media-video/ffmpeg:0= )
> )

No, because ffmpeg here is a feature AND name of concrete realization.
Not ideal case as i would said, but it is acceptable.

You want to migrate to such decision? Like:

qt? (
        qt5? ( dev-lang/qtcore:5 )
        !qt5? ( dev-lang/qtcore:4 )
)

Fine by me, if you would ask.

As i said one message earlier: Something like $(qt_use_default qtgui 5)

which will generate something like this:

qt4? (
        qt5? ( dev-lang/qtcore:5 )
        !qt5? ( dev-lang/qtcore:4 )
)
!qt5? ( !qt4? ( dev-lang/qtcore:5 ) )

would help too.

If you are doing complicated things(and please, do not tell me that
provided dependency string is simple and understandable by every
developer in just a second without wanting to "improve" or "simplify"
it) - do it through eclass. And provide nice API.

Thanks for listening and sorry if i was too harsh

--
Best regards, Sergey Popov
Gentoo developer