On 12 August 2015 at 02:28, Ian Stakenvicius <a...@gentoo.org> wrote:
> Stuff like 'cat/pn: version bumps', 'cat/pn: new features', 'cat/pn:
> adjusted dependencies' are generic (and short) enough yet descriptive
> enough to see what went on while scanning the log.

I personally find those summaries a bit too terse.

Mostly, because when I see "A version is bumped" I immediately expect
to know which version the bump is to, but have to dig out the diff to
find out.

I would also prefer, where possible, to replace "adjusted
dependencies" to be more concise, like "include dev-perl/Foo in
dependencies", ( though of course, apply some taste, listing more than
3 distinct new dependencies in the summary is execessive, treat them
like hashtags on twitter, 1 is good, 2 is OK, 3 and you're starting to
get crazy )

> Multi-package commits are going to be more of an issue of course..  I
> did one last night, fortunately I think I can get away with using
> "mozilla packages" in place of cat/pn since it is a very specific set
> of packages.  Perhaps for sweeping changes like that we can use the
> herdname or projectname or the category name (if its a particular
> category only)?

Agreed. If you need multi-package changes and you can't think of a
good category prefix to use, the commit message should visibly
acknowledge that its a multi-package commit of some kind, and the
*kind* of change should be very clear.

Just keep in mind really the recommendations for prefix naming are
descriptive, not prescriptive, and interpretation and good taste need
to be applied everywhere.

--
Kent