On 08/11/2015 03:41 AM, Sergey Popov wrote:
> I'd suggest to make a QA team meeting to override this policies
> with more correct and rationale.
>
> Qt team members are greatly appreciated on this meeting. Even more,
> i think that we should not take any decision on this without at
> least Qt team lead(or half of Qt team devs)
>
> So, let's arrange some time and talk about this, cause it is
> really confusing. Qt team point is understandable, but it's still
> wrong. Let's make some consensus here.
>
> 02.08.2015 19:34, Ben de Groot пишет:
>> Recently some team members of the Qt project have adopted these
>> ebuild policies:
>> https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Qt/Policies
>>
>> I have an issue with the policy adopted under "Requires one of
>> two Qt versions". In my opinion, in the case where a package
>> offers a choice between qt4 or qt5, we should express this in
>> explicit useflags and a REQUIRED_USE="^^ ( qt4 qt5 )". This
>> offers the user the clearest choice.
>>
>> Other developers state that users are not interested in such
>> implementation details, or that forced choice through
>> REQUIRED_USE is too much of a hassle. This results in current
>> ebuilds such as quassel to not make it clear that qt4 is an
>> option.
>>
>> This goes against the principle of least surprise, as well as
>> against QA recommendations. I would like to hear specifically
>> from QA about how we should proceed, but comments from the wider
>> developer community are also welcome.
>>
>> -- Cheers,
>>
>> Ben | yngwin Gentoo developer

I'm interested in this meeting as well, as maintainer of a package
that can be built with one of two toolkit versions. At the moment, I'm
using REQUIRED_USE with a preference preset for users that don't care,
but it does cause a problem when both flags are set (so it's something
I'd like to fix). I'd like to be part of the conversation if you don't
mind.

- --
Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C  1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6