On 09/10/2015 07:17 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:

>> Given the fact that we are short on manpower and that most part of the
>> linux ecosystem is moving towards gtk3... there has been no good
>> argument to support a toolkit version - that is (about to be) deprecated
>> - for exotic corner use cases that people tried to come up with in the
>> heat of the argument.
>>

> So, my issue is really with the proposition that we need a "good
> argument" to support a toolkit version in the first place.

Because:
a) the gnome maintainers already said they are not interested in
supporting it indefinitely (they are the maintainers of gtk+ as well)
c) it introduces maintenance and configuration complexity where it is
absolutely unnecessary (because no one could come up with a real use
case) und breaks consistency

We _should_ need good arguments before we break consistency and
introduce another layer of configuration complexity, REQUIRED_USE flags
and other nastiness like package.stable.use.mask and whatnot (mgorny
already outlined a few other problems too).