On 09/04/16 23:50, Philip Webb wrote:
> 160409 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 2:49 PM, Philip Webb <purs...@ca.inter.net> wrote:
>>> I've always used Lilo, which is simple + reliable :
>>> I never see questions re it here, but there are many re Grub.
>>> I do use recent hardware, a cutting-edge machine I built  6 mth ago .
>>> When setting it up, I suppressed UEFI in the BIOS settings :
>>> isn't that what anyone not running M$ would do ?
>> I just disabled secure boot, although it's possible to use it with Linux.
>> However, it would require to manually sign everything from boot loader
>> to kernel modules, since Gentoo has no infrastructure to do that.
>> I don't "supress" UEFI, since it's *obviously* so much better than BIOS
>> and since bootctl (the program formerly known as gummiboot)
>> it's incredible easy to use. You don't even notice it's there.
> Sorry, I meant "suppress secure boot".  My mobo doesn't have UEFI.
>
>> I believe there are motherboards where you don't have the option
>> to "supress" UEFI, since they simply don't have BIOS anymore.
>> Seriously, UEFI is soooo much better.
> Thanks for the enlightment (smile).
>
> Can you or anyone else answer my other question re the origin of the thread ?
> -- ie is this a revival of not putting  /usr  on its own partition
> or is it a new proposal to alter the file system in some other way ?

Philip, the discussion was prompted from this original message by WilliamH:

https://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-dev/message/df3c1494ea49191d4e3d442e37eb8ca2

Basically there is a desire to either (1) move /bin, /sbin to /usr/bin,
/usr/sbin or (2) the reverse (ie. eliminate /usr) for a variety of
reasons, but predominately to offer "more users more choice", and uphold
the principle of Gentoo being a distro of flexibility.

Whilst there is some good pros/cons being aired, there is also the usual
amount of gentoo bike-shedding, and personal preference distorting the
discussion :) .