On 05/05/2016 09:17 AM, Duncan wrote:
> Patrick Lauer posted on Thu, 05 May 2016 07:13:00 +0200 as excerpted:
>
>> So again, because I feel like either I'm too stupid to understand this,
>> or too smart to let such an obviously bad idea continue:
>>
>> What problem is being solved here?
> For one thing, the namespace issue of runscript being generic, while
> openrc-run is properly namespaced and thus much less likely to conflict
> with anything else.
... which wasn't a problem for the first decade. The first time a name
collision was noticed was when debian packaging was attempted.

> That would be why openrc's upstream maintainer is changing the name, with
> appropriate deprecation notice for the old one.  Given that, what gentoo
> has to decide is how it's going to respond to that.  Sure, we /could/
> rename the executable to runscript here and be done with it, but that
> would violate gentoo's policy of defaulting to consistency with upstream
> unless there's a very good reason not to.
>
> The fact that the packages upstream maintainer happens to be a gentoo dev
> and that gentoo happens to host the project and be its primary testing
> ground and user base shouldn't change that.
>
> Of course if upstream policy is thought by devs willing to do the work to
> be irrational, they can of course fork the package.  There's certainly
> precedent for that.  But someone's gotta be willing to do the work
> necessary to create and maintain that fork, so...

So you're saying that a Gentoo-specific change in Gentoo happens because
the Gentoo maintainer doesn't care about Gentoo? ;)

Somehow I still don't see a *problem* being solved, and the runscript
binary/symlink pretty much has to stay there indefinitely unless you
want to make life exciting for people that have their own or adapted
init scripts.

To summarize: Lots of churn, no visible benefit, except that some OCD
people could feel better: except that we can't actually fix the core
'issue' without making lots of other people very sad.

Y'all have too much free time ... ;)