On 06/08/2016 11:27 AM, Nathan Zachary wrote:

GitHub Inc. is successful because they host a central location with
"all the code on the Internet"; convenient for consumers and
producers alike. Of course it is a fallacy, but it's convenient
when it works.

Ensure that Gentoo accomplishes the same for Gentoo.

Do NOT - I repeat NOT - tie "user repos" to GitHub Inc., please do
not even bother working on a prototype there (looking at you James),
because if it is good enough it will stick, and as the social
contract rightfully states, it's important to remain independent,
so that Gentoo and Gentoo only can decide what it will offer.

OK, put me on the spot (actually good) I'm no fan of github, for a variety of reason. 'bait and switch' in the mantra of modern business.
I just assumed we are stuck with github.

As an older hack, I more of the C/unix/files type of mindset, not diffing everything..... Still the diff centric semantics are useful

This is a wonderful idea which would benefit the community
tremendously. I wish I had time to implement all of it immediately.

Kind regards

//Peter

I agree with the idea of NOT using GitHub.  Though it is a great
resource, I second the idea that Gentoo should offer the repository
space in order to stay separate.

Cheers,
Nathan Zachary

I actually strongly agree with gentoo rolling it's own on the development site/tools. What we are missing is a distributed file
system and the ability to cluster resources on top of a distributed
file system for this central gentoo system. OrangeFS does look promising
for the dfs. Any number of sys-cluster codes are maturing so that
a system can span resources transparently to the user. From what I'm learning, if you can go from running gentoo on a server or workstation to buidling up a dfs on a small gentoo cluster, then you are at the dev-status-level, imho.

Actually (Peter and Zachary) I'm all in on the non-github approach, if that pathway is defined by gentoo-devs on the team. I do believe in the cook-book approach before 'gets their wings' with gentoo, being old-school. Besides it's always nice to look at docuemnts, if you have not use a particular 'set of tricks' in a while....

ymmv. So, I can take it either way, but building something gentoo-centric, without github, is very appealing too.

James