On 06/10/2016 10:20 AM, M. J. Everitt wrote:
On 10/06/16 17:16, james wrote:
<snip>
And this effort needs a documentation collection to support users,
post installation to their target (ideal stage-4?) collection of
packages; many of which they maintain themselves even if a strong-user
or dev
helps them assimilate those final packages. Then they can use stage-4
snapshots for periodic backups on complete systems. or for quick
installs of new systems. (that would super-charge my cluster dev work)!

It just seems to me that we have all of that now, but it is::
1) not organized
2) needs documentation so folks do not have to use irc to ask the same
questions over and over and over again (gentoo wiki is maturing in
this direction too, imho.
3) needs (desires) gentoo managed repos, not github

For now, we can use github for users. A glep or 2 can solved 1 and
(2), well I was politely turned down, so suggestions on documentation
to achieve this? Data-mining of emails and irc could easily provide
the first-draft of the docs for need (2).

James

(2) any user can edit wiki pages not governed by Projects. Even Project
pages I'm sure could be updated by means of patches submitted to the
appropriate team, with some basic follow-up to ensure action.

Yes, exactly my point on this and similar threads. If the focus was placed on item (2), item (1) evaporates and github or /usr/local/portage solves (3). Gentoo managed SaaS is not necessary but highly desirable after (2) is solved. The 'grandness of these aforementioned musings' are irrelevant-noise and not necessary. If (2) is solved (door number 2 you are a winner!), the utopia, graciousness and nirvana all arrive, for free (or little effort).

DOCUMENTATION
to lift the masses, is what is truly needed at Project:Gentoo and is a red-herring at Gentoo, particularly among many of the devs. It is free-will choice, but it is akin to the lowest common denominator of public education (gentoo-style). Great resources, well organized allow
for and encourage 'self-study'. Add incentives, like 'strong-user,
repos, proxy, and dev, statues to the reward matrix and folks will
follow the docs. Young kids (HS and college) need and want jobs. Providing a pathway to deep linux education (which is what gentoo really is) is the the honey to grow our ranks. Old farts (like me) will naturally gravitate to Gentoo, if (2) is solved. The better the docs and modules, the stronger the magnetism.

For a more introspective survey, ask ordinary gentoo users how they
use GIT/github in there daily routine. It's a practical-skills desert among rodinary-gentoo users, imho.

(3) until some enthusiastic sponsors come forward to host/maintain these
systems, I don't think its fair to overburden the already stretched
Infra guys (no offence, guys! you're doin a great job).

Agreed. As I stated, solve (2) and all the grandiose schema are totally in reach. (3) is a trivial effort and can be multiplicative in pathways, *after (2) is solved*. Just look at Arch Linux. We are moving in that direction, if not mostly akin to a herd of cats.....

MJE

Thanks for your insight, MJE.

Great appreciation to all the gentoo devs.... past and present.
James