On 7/6/16 7:23 AM, Aaron Bauman wrote:
> On Wednesday, July 6, 2016 8:15:24 PM JST, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
>> On 7/6/16 6:54 AM, Aaron Bauman wrote:
>>> On Wednesday, July 6, 2016 5:10:25 PM JST, Anthony G. Basile wrote: ...
>>
>> Except that I state such facts BEFORE the p.mask and you ignored it.
>> Referring to bug #473770:
>>
>> <Comment #2>

>>> The CVE for this has gone nowhere.  See
>>>
>>>     http://www.cve.mitre.org/cgi-bin/cvename.cgi?name=2013-2183
>>>
>>> There are no references and I can't get at the upstream bug report
>>> anymore
>>> since they moved to github.
>>
>> Actually, I found it.  Its fixed:
>>
>>     https://github.com/monkey/monkey/issues/93
>>
>> </Comment #2>
>>
>> <Comment #3>
>>
>> Aaron Bauman gentoo-dev Security 2016-07-01 01:39:40 UTC
>>
>> # Aaron Bauman <b...@gentoo.org> (1 Jul 2016)
>> # Unpatched security vulnerabilities and dead upstream
>> # per bugs #459274 and #473770  Removal in 30 days
>> www-servers/monkeyd
>>
>> </Comment #3>
>>

>> People reading following this can clearly see the problem here.
>>
>> I'm also disappointed that no one else in the security team has
>> recommended any internal policing in response to this.  I maintain that
>> forced p.masking and version bumping should not be done by the security
>> team but passed to QA for review.  Only QA is mandated with such powers
>> by GLEP 48.
>>

> What kind of policing would you like to see councilman?

Policing also has the meaning of policy-ing.  I'd like to see better
policies within the security team for escalation of security bugs.  I'm
suggesting passing the review onto QA, but it looks like K_F (from his
other email) has other ideas which may better for a workflow.

> Would you like
> to see me removed from the project, because your precious package was
> p.masked?

I never said anything to that effect.  I'm arguing a point for better
policy-ing and I'm not satisfied by your solution that developers need
to just better document when a security issue is fixed.

monkeyd is an important package.

>  You have ignored every thing I have said regarding your
> inability to work with the security team.  Even after an apology from me
> and a request to work with us you continue on with the rhetoric of
> powers.  It displays a lot about your inability to work with others.

The problem is not an apology which I appreciate.  The problem is we
need better expectations of when a package is going to get p.masked on
you.  p.masking a package which a notice of 30 days until removal sends
a very bad message to users who depend on it.  Proceeding as the
security team has, there is no way for a developer to know what's about
to happen.  Consider, I thought I'd answered the issue with bug #473770
with comment #2.

> No other developer is complaining... it is *literally* only you.
> NP-Hardass's case was not even a security bug nor handled by the
> security team.  One of the bugs for monkeyd led to additional discovery
> of insecurities regarding log files, but it took a p.mask to get your
> attention.  Quit pushing an agenda and work with others to make Gentoo
> more secure.  Everyone else is.

It doesn't matter, there is a problem here which needs to be addressed.
I'm complaining because we need to fix a problem in our workflow.  It
sounds like K_F is working on a glep for that, which I applaud.

--
Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]