Am Freitag, 22. Juli 2016, 15:57:36 schrieb Ciaran McCreesh:

> > > Wrong. PMS specifically requests you to account for such a
> > > possibility.
> >
> > Common sence must prevail over formal approaches. While PMS is
> > great, it is not perfect in all possible aspects, and this one is
> > one of them.

[snipping irrelevant blather]

> Slots are not the only way in which you can end up with multiple
> installed versions of the same package. Another way is if there's a
> fatal error during certain parts of the upgrade process.

1) If a package only ever had one slot, it cannot ever have two versions
installed at the same time. That guarantee (of only ever one slot) can be
given for the portage tree (sic). Obviously it doesn't work for overlays,
but there are many things we don't care about for overlays. [A]

2) If a package manager leaves two versions of a non-slotted package
"installed" somehow, that package manager is fundamentally broken and its
author should forever refrain from specifying anything. It's not our job to
work around Paludis failure modes. [B]

[A] Let's say there are overlays which package StarOffice, Go-OOO and some
other random OOO fork. Do I have to block them all because of file collisions
then?

[B] The package manager could be broken to leave some random files on the
system too... maybe we need some more blockers or specific error handling in
all ebuilds?

- --

Andreas K. Huettel
Gentoo Linux developer